I last showed this quilt when it was still a quilt top back at the beginning of the year. I managed to get it quilted and bound shortly after that and we used the finished quilt for our bed right up until summer. Then it was promptly put away until the beginning of this week when the weather has turned right from hot to cold seemingly overnight.
So now seemed as good a time as any to show the finished piece here on the blog. In the general scheme of things, I tend to make stuff, blog about it and then use it but it feels more appropriate to talk about this quilt now that it has been used and washed many times over.
I've blogged about the making of the top previously so I'll just talk about the final stages here.
1. The ovals were hand appliqued on to the background fabric but even though it felt a little heavy, I decided not cut out the background fabric from behind the appliqued shapes. With the benefit of experience, I feel that this was a good move. The quilt does not feel overly heavy in use but it is warmer than any other quilt I have. Which is good, since that is the point of the thing.
2. I decided to do the quilting in several ways instead of using one overall design. Firstly, using pale blue thread, I quilted the background or negative space in a kind of square spiral. I love the finished look but it was a whole bunch of hard work to do, since it involved moving the entire quilt round and through the throat of the machine three times for each spiral. I had added sashing to the sides of the quilt only, to make it a little wider, I quilted the sashing in a zig zag pattern.
3. As there was a variety of the fabric shades used for the ovals, from the very dark to the very light, I decided to use several colours of thread in the quilting of them. Firstly I used white, to quilt around each oval just inside the binding. Then I quilted a second oval in the centre of each one using the closest coloured matching thread I had.
4. I used a neutral thread in the bobbin throughout as the backing fabric was grey.
All the threads I used to do the quilting are by Aurifil. I have one of their colour cards which makes ordering colours online easy since you just need to know the shade number. I used the following colours in the quilt - white (2021), pale blue (2710), navy (2785) and neutral (2314). I've since updated my collection to include a few more matching colours - purple (2535) and blue (2735).
Quilt pattern used was from Denyse Schmidt's book Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspirations.
All fabrics from from Hello Petal, the background fabric is bella solid - 9900 63. Again, I have a colour card which makes ordering online in the run up to Christmas and getting a good matching shade, a trouble free experience.