I'm quite partial to a project which involves covering up something with fabric to make it look all brand new and shiny and pretty. When that task also involves utilising quilt blocks or patterns I want to try but can't justify making another quilt (I think I have enough of those ((for the time being at least))) for me it's a win/win sitch.
Despite recent posts and this one, believe it or not there is still a way to go before I make enough cushion cover's to go round and so on the pre - assumption that your not bored already, here's another installment of 'cushion covers I have made lately'.
CC no.1 - Dresden plate, I came excruciatingly close to starting up a new quilt with these but stopped myself just in time to realise that my daughters are home for the holidays and this could be a bad idea right now. I managed to quell the urge (just) and kept to making the cover.
RE: dresdens - I have always made my own dresden templates from card or template plastic although I'm so addicted to this quilt block I think I will have to cave and go buy a proper ruler soon.
CC no. 2 - Gigantic pineapple, this one was tough going to begin with but I loved making such a simple, repetitive block in only two fabrics and huge proportions. My 'technique' did waste a ton of fabric though, so I would want to do more research before attempting this again.
CC's no's 3 & 4 - Hexagons, these were started in time for my trip to Whitstable and allowed me to have a handy on the go project so that I was never far from my paper pieces and needles whatever we were up to.
I made these by starting with one hexagon and stitching six others to each side of it. I then continued by adding more hexagons in the same way until I had a piece of hexagoned fabric big enough to make the top of my cover.
I cover making paper pieced hexagons in this tutorial if you are interested but don't know how.
As you can see, I am partial to a particular fabric to use for my binding, a definite creature of habit and pattern.